Essex County Virginia Emergency Management
Chief of Emergency Services:
James W. Brann
PO Box 1079
Tappahannock, VA 22560
Our goal is to provide emergency information to Essex County residents before and during any emergency situations such as hurricanes, ice storms and chemical spills.
The aim is to communicate to the Essex County community a flow of alerts, updates, announcements and warnings during periods of disaster preparedness and response. These messages parallel the emergency information broadcast by WRAR and WNNT and provide links to other resources during a disaster.
This emergency public information system is operational 24/7 prior to imminent disasters and during the response and will post important information about preparedness, travel, shelters, evacuation, weather related risks, flooding, closures, disaster status, etc.
In case of emergency to your family or property, calling 911 should be your first action.
Here are some vital links for disaster preparedness:
Get a Kit
- Prepare the Kit beforehand
- Where to get info during an emergency
Have a Plan
- Put a Family Plan together
- Emergency Shelter information when opened
Check the message log
- Emergency Messages (current and past)
Thunder & Lightning
- Storm Safety and Preparedness
Safe Snow Shoveling Tips
- Keep yourself safe after the storm
Introduction to the Safe & Well Website
- Information about a free, easy tool that people can use to let their loved ones, friends and colleagues know that they are safe, provided by the American Red Cross
Virginia Department of Health Zika Virus Information
- You can prevent the spread of the Zika virus. Find out what simple steps you can take to protect yourself and your family this summer from the Virginia Department of Health.
Virginia Fire Services Board Fire Study Report for Essex County
This report documents the findings and recommendations for the Essex County Fire and Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Study. The study was requested by the Essex County Board of Supervisors in order to analyze several areas of responsibility within the County’s fire and rescue services.
Winter Storm Jan. 2016 After Action Report
Commonwealth of Virginia's Hurricane Response Plan
Essex County Emergency Operations Plan
Middle Peninsula All Hazards Mitigation Plan
Essex County received its first winter storm of 2016 January 22nd through the 23rd. Emergency Service Providers, County and Town Staff, and others met after the storm to review the response to it. Download the report of their findings.